Principal Ports Engineer
Close Date: March 31, 2020
Country: New Zealand
Sector: Ports, Marine and Aviation
Job Description PDF:
WSP is a collaborative team of global experts who aspire every day to shape a better tomorrow. With more than 49,000 people working in over 550 offices across 40 countries, we are one of the world’s leading engineering consultancy firms. We value our people, our reputation, and our impact on the future. At WSP our role is to plan, design, manage and engineer our communities to thrive. We want our work to bring long-term improvements and to future proof our cities and environments.
We are looking for a Principal for our growing Ports & Maritime business to be based in Christchurch. This position is a fantastic development opportunity and the successful candidate will have a strong commercial and business development background as well as a solid project management experience. You will report to the Service Line Leader, Ports & Marine and provide engineering consultancy services to clients in the ports and maritime sector and actively undertake business development and marketing, with the aim of creating income streams for WSP Ports & Marine team.
• Prepare project scope of works, briefs, consultancy fee estimates, and project delivery plans.
• Manage tasks and projects, and implement timely and clear reporting systems, to ensure projects are completed on time, within budget, and to the required quality.
• Achieve the planned profit in relation to the Business Plan, by managing the project financial systems, invoicing and reporting.
• Proactively engage with clients, internal and external project managers, contractors and other consultants, and assist project teams to deliver the services within the required standards, and time and cost constraints.
• Regularly communicate with clients/team and to ensure they are well informed about the project, aware of project risks and involved in key project decisions to ensure their expectations are met
• Liaise, coordinate and control activities with other sections of the business, in order to achieve technical quality, budget, programme objectives, and provide a total service to clients in order to achieve overall client satisfaction.
• Keep the Project Director informed about project progress, issues and risks
• Assist Line Managers with the training and development of staff.
• Manage and/or provide technical support for projects
• Undertake verification activities and be part of technical reviews of projects.
• Assist with the ongoing growth and development of our Port and Marine business.
• Ensure that all projects and activities have an approved safety plan and that health and safety issues are managed through the project plan.
Skills and Experience:
• Tertiary qualification in an area related to Ports and Maritime Engineering (minimum BE Civil).
• Chartered Professional Engineer (CPEng) status or equivalent, and membership of EngNZ, ICE etc., or at least be working towards attaining this status.
• Current clean NZ Driver’s License.
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience in the field of civil engineering, including experience in ports and maritime engineering.
• Relevant structural analysis software packages (LUSAS and Microstran are WSP preferred packages).
• Experience leading marine and port related engineering projects
• Experience in the New Zealand market preferred
How to Apply:
If this sounds like you, we want you to be part of what makes us great. Are you ready to be part of WSP?
For further information just follow the link and register your interest online.
WSP recognises and values the range of characteristics that make people unique, and do this in an environment that celebrates individual and collective achievement. We believe embracing diversity and inclusion delivers positive experiences for people and clients.
He aha te mea nui o te ao. He tāngata, he tāngata, he tāngata.
What is the most important thing in the world? It is people, it is people, it is people.